Our Vision: To be a learning community where supportive and respectful relationships empower everyone to belong, to believe, to discover and to grow
Over the next few days you’ll spend time with us in the early learning centre. We look forward to getting to know you and your child supporting you both as you settle into the community at Karanga Mai.
What to expect in the first day or two:
- Jacinta (Team Leader/Senior Teacher) will spend time with you filling out the paper work that is required for your child to be enrolled at the centre.
- One of the teaching team will be assigned as a key teacher for your child. This teacher will work with you to ensure your child settles in and develops trusting relationships at Karanga Mai enabling her/him to thrive and learn. This teacher will be the person who is responsible for your child’s care and for documenting their learning journey.
- We encourage you to spend your first day/s with your child at the centre, the information you share about your child, their likes, dislikes, and life at home is extremely helpful and guides the way we are with your child.
- We will support you when you decide the time is right to begin going to school you can trust in the knowledge that we will come and get you if your child needs you.
What you need to know:
- What to bring: A bag with plenty of spare clothing, nappies, bottles and formula, food for lunch (morning and afternoon tea are provided) any medication i.e. nappy cream, or inhalers, Special items i.e. pacifier/dummy, or blanket.
- Signing in & out: It is important that you sign your child in and out on the attendance sheet daily. This is a requirement of the Ministry of Education and ensures that we have an accurate record of attendance in case of an emergency.
- Absences: We appreciate you letting us know if your child is going to be absent from the centre, Phone 327 8315 or text Jacinta 027 8165388. Frequent absences can affect or stop our funding from the Ministry of Education. If there is a risk of this happening teachers will speak with you. If there are circumstances where you cannot come to school it may still be possible for your child to attend the centre please discuss this with the teachers.
- Illnesses: So that we can ensure the well-being of all children at Karanga Mai we ask that you keep your child at home if they are unwell. Please keep your child at home for 48 hours after the last symptoms of vomiting or diarrhoea. If your child is prescribed Antibiotics it is important that they stay at home for the first 24 hours to enable the medication to take effect. Please give all medications to the teachers they will ensure the correct documentation is done and that the medicines are stored out of reach of the children.
- Fees: Karanga Mai charges a fee of $6.00 per hour for up to 30 hours per week, however for young parents these fees are covered by Work and Income New Zealand for students over 18 years or by Guaranteed Childcare Assistance Payment for students 18 years and under. When your child turns 3 they are entitled to 20 hours ECE where there is no fee charged for 20 hours. The remaining 10 hours education and care is usually covered by WINZ. Teachers will ensure the correct documentation is done at the time of your child’s 3rd birthday.
Please feel free to ask any questions, again we welcome you to Karanga Mai Early Learning Centre.
“The centre is an amazing place. Paige loves it and the teachers are so supportive of young mums. They have no judgments.”